1 lie upon; lie on top of; "the granite overlies the older rocks"
2 kill by lying on; "The sow overlay her piglets" [syn: overlay] [also: overlying, overlay, overlain]overlay n : protective covering consisting, for example, of a layer of boards applied to the studs and joists of a building to strengthen it and serve as a foundation for a weatherproof exterior [syn: sheathing, overlayer]
1 put something on top of something else; "cover the meat with a lot of gravy" [syn: cover]
2 kill by lying on; "The sow overlay her piglets" [syn: overlie] [also: overlaid]overlay See overlie [also: overlaid]
To lay, or spread, something over or across; to cover
- Finnish: päällystää
To overwhelm; to press excessively upon
To smother with a close covering, or by lying upon
To put an overlay on
- Finnish: päällystää
- A piece of paper pasted upon the tympan sheet to improve the impression by making it stronger at a particular place.
- Odds which are set higher than expected or warranted. Favorable odds.
- A horse going off at higher odds than it appears to warrant, based on its past performances.
- Finnish: päällystys
An overlay might be relevant in the following fields:
- Overlay Control in semiconductor manufacturing, for monitoring layer-to-layer alignment on multi-layer device structures.
- Video overlay, techniques to display video on computer display.
- Hardware overlay, one type of video overlay that uses memory dedicated to the application.
- Overlay (programming), a technique to reduce the amount of memory used by a program.
- Overlay (operating system), replacing one process by another
- Overlay network, a computer network which is built on top of another network
- Overlay (gentoo), a different location for the ebuilds
- Overlay plan, a method of introducing new area codes in telephony.
- Overlay (systems), recurring themes in a course of study, distinguished by the propensity to cross boundaries (organizational or otherwise) in an effort to gain emergence.
- Overlay (urban planning), a method where a city makes a zoning exception and "overlays" a neighorborhood.
overlay in German: Overlay
overlay in Korean: 오버레이
adorn, applique, apply to, blanket, block, canopy, cap, cloak, clothe, cloud, convolute, cope, cover, cover up, cowl, crown, curtain, decorate, eclipse, elaborate, embellish, embroider, enrich, festoon, film, flap, flourish, fly, gild, hood, imbrication, involve, lap, lay on, lay over, load with ornament, mantle, mask, muffle, obduce, obscure, occult, ornament, overcast, overcharge, overlap, overlapping, overlayer, overload, overspread, put on, screen, scum, shield, spread over, superimpose, superpose, trick out, varnish, veil